Customer Case Study
Outdated and complex company-wide procurement system
The customer channels several billions dollars of purchase annually through their aging SAP SRM 3.0 system. The procurement system is used for purchase of expensive research equipment, laboratory supplies, software, contract services (such as janitorial services), ad-hoc purchases as well as everyday office supplies ordered by an employee. Virtually every staff member interacts with the procurement application.
The application was very complex and overcomplicated – each user had to locate the correct approver, cost center, product categories, even for the simplest purchase.
In addition, the technology platform the system was built on was obsolete.
An updated SAP Portals platform using “shopping cart” metaphor
The procurement application was developed on the SAP Portals platform using Java WebDynpro and Adobe Interactive Forms. The core business logic was developed on the SAP SRM system which integrated with SAP ECC for purchase order creation and follow-on procurement process.
The enhanced application was designed with the primary aim of usability and ease-of-use. The new application is integrated with SAP Portals platform which is the central point of access for all employees.
The Manager can check on his or her approval “shopping carts” – detailed functionality is provided that allows the approver to:
- View shopping cart details including the detail of each shopping cart item
- Allow for substitution or forwarding of the shopping cart
- Facility for buy-on-behalf-of procurement
- Email history; Approval chain; Approval comments history; Attachments (PDF, MS Office documents)
The Employee can check on multiple status metrics related to his or her “shopping cart”:
- Approver who currently owns the shopping cart
- Approval comments history and actions taken
- Purchase Orders creation status for shopping cart line items
- Vendor delivery status for part deliveries / out-of-stock scenarios
Improved employee experience and productivity
- The customer is able to leverage state-of-the-art user experience using the SAP NetWeaver platform without having to invest in upgrading the SAP SRM infrastructure
- Reduced workload on the Buying staff responsible for procurement
- Most employees are able to create an error-free purchase requisition due to the streamlined workflow and purchase experience